Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mixed Media Effects With Rub Ons

I love the fun backgrounds I see people create with all the amazing mediums available.  But I am a little bit scared of paints and other mixed mediums on my layouts - I don't use them enough to be really comfortable and I feel like I don't have control of what I'm creating.  So I've come up with a fun technique using rub-ons that creates a similar effect. 

I love rub-ons and almost always snag them when they come out these days.  But I don't always remember to use them.  And I've learned - the hard way - that rub-ons get old.  Eventually they either don't want to release onto my project or they leave part of the image on the protective sheet in the packaging.  But they are still a great source of color and are fun to use.

Here is a layout where I used lots of old rubons - I started with a pretty piece of patterned paper from Pinkfresh Studio along one side of my layout.  Then I pulled out rubons that seemed to coordinate to create a mixed media effect.


There are a couple tricks to this technique -
  • Make sure you get incomplete images - you are creating color and texture and not shapes or images in most instances.
  • Layer the rub-ons over each other.  It creates a more irregular effect and adds dimension.
  • Adding in some black and white words or images helps anchor the effect
  • Make sure some of the rubons go on to the patterned paper to tie the two elements of the layout together.
I added some ink splatters in coordinating colors to finish the layout.  And I didn't do it here (mostly because I was lazy) but adding in tiny enamel dots, sequins or bits of wood veneer can really make the whole thing pop.

So there you have it - a mixed media effect with no mess.  It's super easy and a great way to use up those rub-ons in your stash. 

Thanks for stopping by - have a great Tuesday.


2 comments:

  1. So fun! I can see trying this! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! Great idea, too. Michelle t

    ReplyDelete